LAGERS members may have the option to add additional service to their benefit calculation by either purchasing or transferring service.
Purchase of Other Public Employment
To be eligible to purchase other public employment service in the LAGERS system, you must be an active, vested LAGERS member who either:
- Had previous non-federal public employment in the state of Missouri that was not covered by a retirement plan, OR
- Had previous non-federal public employment in the state of Missouri and were covered under another public pension system, but did not become vested
Purchase of Military Service
To be eligible to purchase military service in the LAGERS system, you must be an active LAGERS member with previous US military service.
Eligible members may purchase up to four years of military service toward their LAGERS benefit. LAGERS will require a copy of any pertinent military discharge papers (DD 214) to verify honorable discharge and period of service in the US armed forces.
Estimate the cost of purchasing your military service online today! Visit the myLAGERS member web portal and log in!
Process to Purchase Service
If you are eligible to purchase service toward your LAGERS benefit, you can obtain an estimate for purchasing service by completing one of the following forms and submitting to the LAGERS office:
Military Purchase of Service Form
LAGERS will calculate the cost of purchasing service and mail you the calculations.
Once you have received your official cost calculations from LAGERS, you have the option to purchase the service in a lump sum, in 12 month installments, in 24 month installments, or not at all. LAGERS will accept direct rollovers from other qualified retirement plans for the purposes of purchasing service credit.
Transfer of Service from Another MO Public Pension System
To be eligible to transfer service to LAGERS, you must be an active, vested LAGERS member.
- Service may only be transferred to LAGERS from other Missouri Public Pension Systems.
- You must be vested in the other Missouri Public Pension System.
- LAGERS must have a mutual agreement with the other Missouri Public Pension System in order to transfer service.